Sunday 21 November 2010

Blue Team

Only three previews today but they're definitely more exciting than most of the ones we've seen up to now.

Rolan Phoenix

I like the look of this guy - well-costed and with a nifty effect that can trigger off your Worgen hero, but the Alliance three-drop slot is incredibly packed right now, with Adam Eternum and Flint Shadowmore. Unless you have a good reason to keep recurring this guy I can't see him getting much play over one of those two, no matter how good he otherwise is.

That said - he is going to be really bloody difficult to get rid of, four health is still non-trivial and he sports the Aberration keyword too...

Varandas Silverleaf

I've never been a fan of turning my quests down for anything other than getting the reward off the front of them, and while three damage is a not insignificant reward for doing so, I wonder how much use this ally is going to be during those times when you've mulliganed into a hand with one whole quest.

Maybe he'll play better than my sceptical mind thinks - he definitely has potential but at this point I think I'd rather just play Ashnaar.

Magni, the Mountain King

Magni's effect is pretty interesting for armour decks but to get the most out of him you're going to have to build a Dwarf All-Stars deck that also runs a lot of armour - and I just don't think it's going to really be useful enough to make much of an impact in any deck that isn't built around his ability. I suppose it would make Spelunker Maddocks a bit more survivable after graveyard hate, but then a 0/3 Spelunker isn't going to be much use to you anyway, much like the 1/1 token Magni's Stash ability generates.

Also of note is his restriction on the type line - 'Magni (1)'. Not 'Unique'. Previous Magni cards were Unique; why not this one, and are the other Magnis going to receive errata to this effect? I understood the change of Shadowfiend from Unique to Pet (1) as that would have broken Crusade Engineer Spitzpatrick; if the other Magni cards don't receive errata to become Magni (1) (to prevent quantum dwarf occurrences) I can see no functional reason behind this change, other than Spitzpatrick potentially proving more powerful than the R&D team expected.

Definitely an interesting set of cards today though, Worldbreaker is shaping up to be an interesting set so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment